Grip on Graffiti
Acts of graffiti vandalism are of great concern to the City of Goodyear. Spray painting public and private property without permission hurts everyone: businesses, homeowners, schools and citizens. Graffiti sends the signal that nobody cares and attracts other forms of crime and street delinquency. Graffiti drains tax dollars. Funds that could be used for roads, parks, and other community improvements are used up for graffiti cleanup. Neighborhoods without graffiti control programs see a decrease in property values, as well as loss of business growth and tourism. We have a new ordinance which:
· Requires graffiti to be removed within 48 hours
· Makes possession of graffiti implements an illegal act for those without permission and under the age of 18
· Requires spray paint and other graffiti implements to be locked up or monitored by retailers
Get educated - Learn about graffiti vandalism, how it impacts your community and who is responsible for the prevention and cleanup.
Keep up appearances - Remove graffiti promptly. Studies show that removal within 24 to 48 hours results in a nearly zero rate of reoccurrence.
Build in prevention - incorporate shrubs, thorny plants and vines to restrict vandal access to walls, fences, sheds, garages and other graffiti targets. Add or improve lighting around your property.
Before Graffiti Removal
After Graffiti Removal
· If you see graffiti in progress, contact the Goodyear Police Department at 623-932-1220. This report may be taken over the phone or an officer may be sent to the location. It is important for law enforcement to document and track this activity through police reports.
· Call the Graffiti Hotline at 602-262-7327 if you believe you know the identity or have information leading to the arrest of a graffiti vandal. You do not have to give your name or other identification, and you could receive a reward of up to $250.
· To report graffiti on public property that needs removal, please complete a Service Request Form or contact the City of Goodyear Code Compliance at 623-882-7815, or search the app store for "myGoodyear" to download to your iPhone or Droid.
The city has a Graffiti Buster program to assist residents with graffiti removal from private property. Learn more about Graffiti Busters.
To select the appropriate method for graffiti removal, consider the surface, costs, environmental impacts, and any local restrictions. Removal methods include:
· Paint out - on painted surfaces, painting over graffiti is a low-cost removal method. Be sure to color match the paint to the surface. A patchwork of paint or a large block of different color paint is an ideal canvas and will invite more graffiti.
· Chemical removal* - this method employs some type of solvent to remove graffiti.
· Power washing* - this removes graffiti by applying hot water under pressure. Power washing may be used after applying a paint solvent to the graffiti area. An abrasive, such as baking soda, may also be added to the water to remove a thin layer of the surface, and with it, the graffiti.
*To ensure safety, consult a graffiti removal service or work with the City or County if this type of cleanup is required.
Keep America Beautiful