View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 11, 2013
Contact: Lisa Kutis, PIO
Goodyear Police Department
Goodyear Police Department Reminder: Don’t Be Victim to a Crime of Opportunity
GOODYEAR, Ariz. – The Goodyear Police Department would like to remind the community to protect oneself against crimes of opportunity. By definition, a crime of opportunity is one that is committed without planning. Basically, when the perpetrator sees the chance to commit a crime, he/she seizes the opportunity.
Goodyear Police offer the following tips to avoid being a crime victim:
• Lock car doors and roll up windows
• Park in well lit areas at night
• Do not leave valuables in your vehicle
• Lock home doors and windows at night or when leaving
• Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings, walk with a sense of purpose
• Carry your purse firmly and close to your body or better yet leave it at home and only carry what you need in your pocket - such as a small amount of money, keys, and maybe one credit card.
• Have your car or house key in your hand as you approach the door.
• Follow your “gut instinct”, don’t put yourself in an uncomfortable situation
• Use the buddy system, especially if out at night
• Use well lit and well traveled streets and walkways