View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
Public Information Office
For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, December 5, 2006
Goodyear Reminds Residents: Follow These Tips for a Safe Holiday
(GOODYEAR, AZ) - The City of Goodyear and the Goodyear Fire Department would like to wish a happy holiday season to all Goodyear residents. The following is a list of helpful tips to make it a safe holiday, as well. "The number of home fires increases during the holidays largely due to burning candles left unattended and overly dry Christmas trees," said Tanja Tanner, Goodyear Fire Department Community Education Coordinator. "We want to urge residents to take extra precautions during the holiday season."
- Make sure your Christmas tree is fresh. Shedding needles are the sign of a dry tree.
- Make sure that trees, wreaths and cut greens of any kind are placed away from any source of heat.
- A dry tree can catch fire and ignite a room in just 30 seconds. Place the tree in a large stand that holds a lot of water.
- Put your tree a safe distance from exits.
- Make sure artificial trees are flame-retardant.
- Remove your tree as soon as the season is over and properly dispose of it (see tree recycling locations on front cover).
- Keep ribbons and ornaments away from small children and pets to prevent choking or poisoning.
- Use only UL approved indoor and outdoor lighting.
- Always unplug your Christmas tree lights and decoration lights before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Never leave lights unattended.
- Keep electrical cords away from doorways and from underneath carpeting and rugs. Always check and replace cords when they show signs of wear.
- Never overload outlets.
- To reduce the risk of fire, don't allow electric bulbs to touch needles, gift wrapping or flammable ornaments.
- Store matches and lighters out of children's reach.
- Keep candles in sturdy holders and away from combustibles such as drapes or paper products.
- Avoid hanging stockings near open flames.
- Burn only well-seasoned, dry wood in your fireplace while using a fire protection screen.
- Never burn paper, gift-wrap or trash in a fire place. This is a major cause of chimney fires.
- If possible, put all shopping bags in the trunk of your car.
- When taking your shopping bags to your car in a shopping center parking lot, be careful, have your keys ready and pay attention to who is around you. Better yet, take advantage of the shuttle services many major shopping centers provide to take you to your car.
- Park in well lit areas.
- Take inventory of your valuable possessions. Write down model and serial numbers along with descriptions of all electronics and appliances. Take pictures of or videotape any valuable items you own. Engrave your name or an identifying number on valuables.
- At a celebration, be sure the exits are clear.
- Check under furniture and in trash cans for smoldering cigarettes.
- Never let friends drink and drive.
- If you go out for the evening, leave the house lights and/or television on in the house.