City of Goodyear, Arizona
Public Information Office
For Immediate Release: Sept. 2, 2008
Wasting water – it’s against the law
GOODYEAR, Ariz. – Wasting water is officially against the law.
The Goodyear City Council has adopted a new Water Waste Ordinance, making it illegal to allow hundreds of gallons of water run down a street or onto another’s property. Violators will be cited by Goodyear Code Compliance.
Illegal water wasting is:
- Water running uncontrolled from a faucet or outlet;
- Water pooling more than 150 feet in area off the property;
- Water that disrupts pedestrian or vehicle traffic;
- Misdirected sprinklers that spray more than 10 percent onto other’s private or public property;
- Water runoff into gutters, drains or ditches of more than ¼ inch.
Be a good neighbor. If water is being wasted, let your neighbor know. If the problem continues, call Goodyear Water Resources at 623-932-3010 and report the address, the source of the water, and how the waste is occurring (sprinklers spraying off the property, water runoff in gutters, etc.).
City staff will document the call and contact the owner or responsible party. A violation notice or citation may be issued if the waste continues.